Skip to main content

Oh my valentine!❤



No doubt I was going to blog about Valentine's day, I knew you must have been expecting it.


''Love is sweet o, when money enter love it's sweeter...'' Davido sang.


Another year gone again and I've not had the kind of Valentine's day I've been hoping for. I wanted the one of a celebrity where gifts would be sent from my lover, fans and secret admirers. I wanted that day where I'll keep on unpacking boxes till midnight and making snaps of how lovely it's been. I wanted to be really spoilt with credit alerts. I wanted the day to be so rosy and beautiful. I wanted a kind of beautiful experience that would take certain number of pages when I eventually write a book. I wanted to oppress back to back on social media on what I was gifted. I wanted to wake up the following day and start calling people to appreciate what they have sent me. I sense the period it's drawing near.


Should I tell you what I want specifically? Of course I will. Who knows what might happen on my birthday this year or by next year Val's day. I want a recent model of Range Rover, latest iphone, trip to Paris, designer handbags, shoes, hair, gold jewelry, expensive wears, chocolates, roses, cards and plenty money.


All I know about Valentine's day since secondary school till my late teenage years was just about boyfriend and girlfriend boxing gifts for each other and saying ''I love you'' repeatedly. To me, It's just as though that 1 of 365/366 days is sacred and for love confessions alone. Lol.


Little did I know that it's beyond all the fantasies I aforementioned. Many people wanted those stuff I listed above and so have committed atrocities that are big for my mouth to utter. 


In the name of Valentine's day, it has been turned into a ''give and take'' situation. The mentality about this day is for a guy to take a lady out or buy her luxury, then the lady feels like she owes him for all he has done by simply repaying with her body. Chill, I'm not here to point fingers o. Naaaa. 


That would have been nice and romantic for couples, for a kind of recommitment in their marriage and to rekindle the fire that may have gotten dim.


But what saddens me most is seeing secondary school girls fall victims of this every year. Just by getting frames, roses, chocolates and panties, they get swept off their feet and dance to whatever tune the giver has played. Maka why?


Oya conman hear gist o. Who said I didn't receive Val's day gift as a small girl too. Permit me to laugh at myself please. Those times in secondary school (don't know if they still do it now o) sellers at the food shed would have stocked their stalls with frames, roses, cards and assorted biscuits a week before or few days before February 14. Outsider petty traders would also be seen at the school gate displaying all kinds of gift items during closing hours.


In JSS1, I had a very close male friend. I'm sure my junior secondary school mates reading this would be quick to recall this particular person. We were both young but fond of each other. My first Val's day gift from him was Agbalumo (African star apple). Didn't even know what led him to do that. He just came to me with his hands to the back, said ''Happy Valentine's day Omolola'' then stretched his arms and voilà, three agbalumo. 


Yea, it was small but the little me appreciated it. Because of that, I also bought mangoes for him two months later which was his birthday. Maybe that was all I had gotten for Val's day gift ever since sha. (Gist continues later)


Naturally as humans, we tend to reciprocate. We feel for someone to have done something for us, he or she deserves something else in return. Even to God, we'll tell him ''I'll do this for you as long as you can do that for me.'' A plate of rice, chicken and cocktail equals few hours of fun but bone straight hair and money equals a fun-filled night even a whole week or wait, how do you guys do it sef?


Love is not blind to see that all a person wants from you is your body or your money. We all recognize lust when we see it but maybe we just assume it will be converted into love at the long run. This is what I still do not understand.


Ehm, what more can we say now that ''Friends with benefits'' is now the order of the day?


Well, whatever the case may be, don't allow promise of material things on Val's day rip you off what should still be yours. Don't engage in dirty stuff because someone has gifted you something. I mean don't lose your sense of identity (the You in You). Don't be so fast to sell your birthright, your value, your worth and your being.


Long throat na bastard, something wey you no reach, wey you won do by force go choke you (In short, covetousness destroys).


Love is beyond touches, sex and kisses. Love is the greatest gift, it is patient and kind, not envious, not arrogant, not self-centered, does not rejoice at injustice and it never fails.


So, when the kind of love you profess doesn't demonstrate those qualities, it is something else you shouldn't waste your time on.


Happy Valentine's day once again.

Thanks for sticking true till this moment. I love y'all.

Virtual hugs FAM🤗🤗🤗

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Overcoming inferiority 🤳

  There are two sets of people reading this: those that have experienced my current state and those looking forward to it. Maybe I haven't said this but right now I'm blogging as a graduate. Yaaaay I'm not here to wail and narrate ordeals but you would agree with me the journey isn't bread and butter if you study in any of Nigeria's federal or state owned institutions. I want to believe that whoever has taken a step to pursue whether NCE, ND, HND, B.Sc/B.A/B.Ed/B.Agric/B.Tech, L.Lb or any other program in a tertiary institutions should be lauded indiscriminately. For someone like me, I would say it's the survival of the fittest. Almost weighed down and battling with inferiority complex among my friends in the university but at last I had to shake it off as in 'odeychi' Prior to this time, I mean about 5years ago during my ND, I always try to evade conversation that probe into where I school. I could remember how I would always lie to an admirer or any ot

Jedi-Jedi 💊

It seems as if jedijedi (chop yansh chop yansh) was propagated the past few weeks because I can count the number of people that had it. Even as I speak, it's still not fully flushed out of my system. Although there is no accurate english medical word for it, pile or hemorrhoids is widely known as jedijedi in Yoruba and it's caused by sweet or sugary things.  It's symptoms include itchy anus, abdominal and lower back pain, erectile dysfunction, diarrhoea, general body weakness and many more. You see ehn, whenever I see these salesman in car playing their herbal mixtures jingles for protruding anus, I was always laughing and making jest of those that could have found themselves in that particular health condition or probably thinking it only happens to children. I was shocked when I noticed my anus has protruded too. (this thing na turn by turn sha) Lol. I knew my sugar intake would immensely increase when I could no longer prepare food at home due to a tight schedule. I leav

Something big🔘

We all get happy when we hear our share is bigger than someone else's. Naturally as humans, we would always want more just like Oliver Twist. Shall I say we even hate to share things equally among others? We are most likely to negotiate with others to make them see reasons why we should have more of the normal share. Just like two people sharing the sum of #10,000, one may have to remind the other that he's older, whether he knows the person that gave them the money or maybe he worked more. So, I was eating pounded yam and egusi this afternoon (Well, I'm not willing to entertain any question about how I got the meal package sha). The meat was big and looks too gluttonous to be consumed but deep down I kind of like the fact that the meat was big. Most times, we want big things. Getting big pay, big contracts, big meats, big apartments even some guys like ''big and bang-bodied ladies.'' But wait, with all this big big stuff, what if someone gifted you a dress