Skip to main content

Growth is not hypocrisy📶


 I wonder why people are so used to nailing you to what you were once known for even after knowing you've moved.


There's this elderly friend of mine. He was a panelist in a finance workshop. He asked if I could make it to the event that day and I replied in the affirmative.


The discussion was really an eye-opener for me and I commended him immediately after the session. Just as I was still standing by him, a man whom he described as one of his friends in the college came over and said ''if it had been someone else talking, I might have agreed, when did you become so serious about money of a thing, you used to be so extravagant at spending.''


My friend didn't take offence at the rude remark, he just smiled at him and said ''thank God you said I used to, not anymore''


The man went away shaking his head in utter disbelief. Well, I entered into his thoughts and I realized he was thinking that someone that had such prodigal nature shouldn't advocate against it now.


Do we even understand there is a big difference between then and now? 


What makes you think I shouldn't be able to speak against prostitution now just because I was once one?


Or do you think the notorious armed robber then, Shina Rambo that is now a renowned pastor can't preach against stealing and robbery? He sure can and he will preach against it over and over again.


Many of us are so guilty of this, we find it difficult to remove name and identity tags. Maybe we don't even believe people change. Remember, change is the only constant thing in life.


How about this scenario? (I want to personalize it) I've been so addicted to smoking, weeds and alcohol, I got to read and hear the benefits of staying away from the lifestyle that wreaks havoc on health, I stopped it gradually, I went to a rehabilitation centre for few months, schedule appointment with my therapist once a week, my pastor and I continually pray over it, and now I'm a better version of myself.


Meanwhile, I met with one of my guys that we club together then, he asked that I was served my favourite alcohol drink and I declined, he laughed and said ''ogbeni wetin do you?(guy, what's wrong with you?'' I said I no longer take that and he was like ''na lie jhor (It's a lie)'' I didn't want to argue with him and I told him we'll see next time.


For emphasis, just because you were wrong in times past doesn't mean you can't warn against it now.


Alot of people think it hypocrisy, they assume you're still living that life and just trying to dissuade them.


Growth is a concept we're meant to embrace. We've grown out of what we were known for and yea, it's for better.


Don't use someone else's past to invalidate their new better lifestyle. It is unfair and dangerous at the same time.


How would you feel if you were a truant in your primary school days about 15,20,30 years ago, you bumped into a class mate and he said ''I hope you don't loiter at work like used to do back then in primary school?'' 


This should stop!


My WAS shouldn't interfere with my IS.

What had happened is different from what is happening. So, if I try to correct you on what you knew me for back then, don't be so defensive about it. 


Virtual hugs fam🤗🤗🤗

Comments

  1. Just listen to me and allow my experience to shape you instead of casting stone .... Well-done dearie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... We humans do that a lot, even if it's jokingly.
    Nonetheless, it's still not that proper.

    We'll try and grow too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jedi-Jedi 💊

It seems as if jedijedi (chop yansh chop yansh) was propagated the past few weeks because I can count the number of people that had it. Even as I speak, it's still not fully flushed out of my system. Although there is no accurate english medical word for it, pile or hemorrhoids is widely known as jedijedi in Yoruba and it's caused by sweet or sugary things.  It's symptoms include itchy anus, abdominal and lower back pain, erectile dysfunction, diarrhoea, general body weakness and many more. You see ehn, whenever I see these salesman in car playing their herbal mixtures jingles for protruding anus, I was always laughing and making jest of those that could have found themselves in that particular health condition or probably thinking it only happens to children. I was shocked when I noticed my anus has protruded too. (this thing na turn by turn sha) Lol. I knew my sugar intake would immensely increase when I could no longer prepare food at home due to a tight schedule. I leav

Overcoming inferiority 🤳

  There are two sets of people reading this: those that have experienced my current state and those looking forward to it. Maybe I haven't said this but right now I'm blogging as a graduate. Yaaaay I'm not here to wail and narrate ordeals but you would agree with me the journey isn't bread and butter if you study in any of Nigeria's federal or state owned institutions. I want to believe that whoever has taken a step to pursue whether NCE, ND, HND, B.Sc/B.A/B.Ed/B.Agric/B.Tech, L.Lb or any other program in a tertiary institutions should be lauded indiscriminately. For someone like me, I would say it's the survival of the fittest. Almost weighed down and battling with inferiority complex among my friends in the university but at last I had to shake it off as in 'odeychi' Prior to this time, I mean about 5years ago during my ND, I always try to evade conversation that probe into where I school. I could remember how I would always lie to an admirer or any ot

Something big🔘

We all get happy when we hear our share is bigger than someone else's. Naturally as humans, we would always want more just like Oliver Twist. Shall I say we even hate to share things equally among others? We are most likely to negotiate with others to make them see reasons why we should have more of the normal share. Just like two people sharing the sum of #10,000, one may have to remind the other that he's older, whether he knows the person that gave them the money or maybe he worked more. So, I was eating pounded yam and egusi this afternoon (Well, I'm not willing to entertain any question about how I got the meal package sha). The meat was big and looks too gluttonous to be consumed but deep down I kind of like the fact that the meat was big. Most times, we want big things. Getting big pay, big contracts, big meats, big apartments even some guys like ''big and bang-bodied ladies.'' But wait, with all this big big stuff, what if someone gifted you a dress