Skip to main content

Smart way to handle criticism😎

Many a time we hear words like "that was so bad of you" "you did rubbish" "I was expecting you to have done something better, that was whack" "you look so ugly" blablabla and we might just feel bad about ourselves or what we've done and we get discouraged to even try further.

Smiles, I really do not want to sound like a motivational speaker, obviously, I'm not. Just felt an urge to share this with you.

The greatest criticism comes from intimate or I rather put close people because they are the ones that could talk straight to our faces. At times, they take us for granted and just hurl unpleasant words as they like not minding the effects.

Criticisms are good as they help us to guage our stand, I mean positive ones.

They are alot of people that are already bitter thereby looking for whom to transfer their aggressions to. So, when you ask them how your last presentation was or how your make up looks, they would be quick to point out the flaws, saying this and that without noticing anything good about what you've done or how you look. These people can be so dangerous.

When these kind of people find their ways into your 'psychological self', you'll get your self esteem affected.

So how do you handle such a negative criticism? It's simple. Before the person rants further and further, just thank the person politely for whatever observation and walk away. Don't allow the word to pierce you through, please🙏

When you get to your closet, you can ponder on those words and ask few more people about that particular thing to know if their observation is the same, if so, you need to work on yourself.

Let me share my story with you. I know I'm not the best cook on planet earth  but I'm not a bad one either. Because I rarely cook doesn't mean I can't😋. I have a friend who feels she's an awesome cook and most times, she tells everyone I'm bad at cooking during the course of similar conversations, it's openly o. People laughed at me one particular day, and I smiled too so they won't notice I was pained. So there was a day that these set of people who had the impression that I can't cook decided to come visit, I didn't know where that 'alase' (party chef) spirit came from. I prepared the food in their presence and the jollof rice was so delicious that the people were convinced she must have been saying the opposite of what she meant. And I must say, I felt like a super star with the accolades I received.

Imagine, what would have happened if I had shouted at her that day warning her to keep shut or if I had cried?

So, whether you were or will be(its unavoidable as long as you're living and making progress) criticized negatively in a public or privately, do well to stay composed and polite, keep your head straight and give a charming smile. But make sure you are not the bad they said you are. I dont know if you understand.
Remember, you owe no one any explanation.

Just be better today than you were yesterday.

I would like to talk on complacency one of these days. Watch this space.

Virtual hugs 🤗


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jedi-Jedi 💊

It seems as if jedijedi (chop yansh chop yansh) was propagated the past few weeks because I can count the number of people that had it. Even as I speak, it's still not fully flushed out of my system. Although there is no accurate english medical word for it, pile or hemorrhoids is widely known as jedijedi in Yoruba and it's caused by sweet or sugary things.  It's symptoms include itchy anus, abdominal and lower back pain, erectile dysfunction, diarrhoea, general body weakness and many more. You see ehn, whenever I see these salesman in car playing their herbal mixtures jingles for protruding anus, I was always laughing and making jest of those that could have found themselves in that particular health condition or probably thinking it only happens to children. I was shocked when I noticed my anus has protruded too. (this thing na turn by turn sha) Lol. I knew my sugar intake would immensely increase when I could no longer prepare food at home due to a tight schedule. I leav

Overcoming inferiority 🤳

  There are two sets of people reading this: those that have experienced my current state and those looking forward to it. Maybe I haven't said this but right now I'm blogging as a graduate. Yaaaay I'm not here to wail and narrate ordeals but you would agree with me the journey isn't bread and butter if you study in any of Nigeria's federal or state owned institutions. I want to believe that whoever has taken a step to pursue whether NCE, ND, HND, B.Sc/B.A/B.Ed/B.Agric/B.Tech, L.Lb or any other program in a tertiary institutions should be lauded indiscriminately. For someone like me, I would say it's the survival of the fittest. Almost weighed down and battling with inferiority complex among my friends in the university but at last I had to shake it off as in 'odeychi' Prior to this time, I mean about 5years ago during my ND, I always try to evade conversation that probe into where I school. I could remember how I would always lie to an admirer or any ot

Something big🔘

We all get happy when we hear our share is bigger than someone else's. Naturally as humans, we would always want more just like Oliver Twist. Shall I say we even hate to share things equally among others? We are most likely to negotiate with others to make them see reasons why we should have more of the normal share. Just like two people sharing the sum of #10,000, one may have to remind the other that he's older, whether he knows the person that gave them the money or maybe he worked more. So, I was eating pounded yam and egusi this afternoon (Well, I'm not willing to entertain any question about how I got the meal package sha). The meat was big and looks too gluttonous to be consumed but deep down I kind of like the fact that the meat was big. Most times, we want big things. Getting big pay, big contracts, big meats, big apartments even some guys like ''big and bang-bodied ladies.'' But wait, with all this big big stuff, what if someone gifted you a dress