Skip to main content

CITATION the movie🎥💽



Will #sex_for_grades scandal ever stop? Are we really going to have repentant lecturers? How best do we handle lecturer-student relationship without obsession?

Ok, so I watched CITATION the movie and yea it's absolutely relatable. Note, this isn't a review.

To start with, I would like to commend the hardwork and ingenuity of the veteran movie producer Kunle Afolayan. 

The characterization is amazing and altogether the production is perfect. With casts like Temi Otedola starring as Moremi Oluwa and Ibukun Awosika who made their applaudable debut appearances, actors like Joke Silver, Gabriel Afolayan, Jimmy Jean-Louis, Adjetey Anang, Sadiq Daba and others on the list too made it a grand success.


The African heritage portrayed in the movie include the language, afro wears, artifacts and tourism. 

As a lover of language that I am, I was happy to hear fluent Yoruba, English and French language at the same time. I love the exploration within Nigeria, Senegal and Cape Verde.


I won't also hesitate to mention the setting of the movie, the great Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife. The school has indisputably got great edifices.


Now to the subject matter, sex for grades and students' harassment by lecturers seem to be a norm in Nigerian tertiary institutions especially female students. Yielding to the request is seen as an escapade from wicked lecturer's den. 

It has become so casual in this perverse time. Imagine telling a friend that a lecturer is making advances to you and he's threatening to fail you, the response is likely going to be ''you better give him what he wants so he can free you.''


It would be recalled that a similar case portrayed in the movie was all up in the news some years back at the same university where an audio leaked. It was the voice of a male lecturer who was abusing power on a female student but whose appointment was thereafter terminated by the institution.


Do we really have to go this far by threatening people to do what is against their wish? Could it be a result of self- centeredness or greediness? I mean to say someone becomes so dogged at sleeping with a lady just to prove that you possess a power of life and death, failing and passing or what?


In the context of the movie, the lecturer Professor N'Dyare is hell bent on ruining brilliant students' lives at all cost seeing Moremi was obviously not his first. Just as a devil, he pretends to get close and then unleash his demonic attribute.


Right now, we have a lot of victims who are shut up inside because they have lost confidence in the school senate to vindicate them not to talk of the whole judiciary system.


Most students facing this might not be able to go the extra miles like Moremi did to travel to Senegal and bring a witness. The procedure seem so long and exhausting. Friends turn into foes and nickname you a ''saint'' just because you have decided to speak up against an anomaly.


Like I said earlier that I can relate but in my own case I wasn't threatened for grade, I was just scared for my life that if I turned down the request it might result into an ugly situation (story for another time). Anyways, God gave me wisdom and it dissolved somehow. I would even say that more than average of female students in tertiary students have had a case of sexual harassment with male lecturers.


My verdict on this still remains that female students set boundary between male lecturers. Overfamiliarity tend to bring a kind of bond that might eventually lead to obsession and infatuation which could turn to a story that touches. 

Students should be diligent so as to avoid a situation of going to beg a lecturer. 

Female students should endeavour to tell closest people to them when they notice unreasonable advances from male lecturers so they will have witnesses.

Lastly, both male and students should lean on God for wisdom. 


Citation the movie, has exposed this menace once again and has proven the fight against it can be won.


Even though you might not be a lecturer, I hope you ain't using your position to oppress other powerless individuals too.


I hope this spurs you to be good wherever you are and not abuse power and also teaches you to stand your ground in the face of adversity by ensuring justice is served at all cost.



Virtual hugs🤗🤗🤗


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jedi-Jedi 💊

It seems as if jedijedi (chop yansh chop yansh) was propagated the past few weeks because I can count the number of people that had it. Even as I speak, it's still not fully flushed out of my system. Although there is no accurate english medical word for it, pile or hemorrhoids is widely known as jedijedi in Yoruba and it's caused by sweet or sugary things.  It's symptoms include itchy anus, abdominal and lower back pain, erectile dysfunction, diarrhoea, general body weakness and many more. You see ehn, whenever I see these salesman in car playing their herbal mixtures jingles for protruding anus, I was always laughing and making jest of those that could have found themselves in that particular health condition or probably thinking it only happens to children. I was shocked when I noticed my anus has protruded too. (this thing na turn by turn sha) Lol. I knew my sugar intake would immensely increase when I could no longer prepare food at home due to a tight schedule. I leav

Overcoming inferiority 🤳

  There are two sets of people reading this: those that have experienced my current state and those looking forward to it. Maybe I haven't said this but right now I'm blogging as a graduate. Yaaaay I'm not here to wail and narrate ordeals but you would agree with me the journey isn't bread and butter if you study in any of Nigeria's federal or state owned institutions. I want to believe that whoever has taken a step to pursue whether NCE, ND, HND, B.Sc/B.A/B.Ed/B.Agric/B.Tech, L.Lb or any other program in a tertiary institutions should be lauded indiscriminately. For someone like me, I would say it's the survival of the fittest. Almost weighed down and battling with inferiority complex among my friends in the university but at last I had to shake it off as in 'odeychi' Prior to this time, I mean about 5years ago during my ND, I always try to evade conversation that probe into where I school. I could remember how I would always lie to an admirer or any ot

Something big🔘

We all get happy when we hear our share is bigger than someone else's. Naturally as humans, we would always want more just like Oliver Twist. Shall I say we even hate to share things equally among others? We are most likely to negotiate with others to make them see reasons why we should have more of the normal share. Just like two people sharing the sum of #10,000, one may have to remind the other that he's older, whether he knows the person that gave them the money or maybe he worked more. So, I was eating pounded yam and egusi this afternoon (Well, I'm not willing to entertain any question about how I got the meal package sha). The meat was big and looks too gluttonous to be consumed but deep down I kind of like the fact that the meat was big. Most times, we want big things. Getting big pay, big contracts, big meats, big apartments even some guys like ''big and bang-bodied ladies.'' But wait, with all this big big stuff, what if someone gifted you a dress